Saturday, January 12, 2013

It's a calm, overcast morning ... a tiny bit of a breeze, but otherwise still.  This is the weekend of the wake for the murder victims.  It feels like the Village is holding it's breath.  Jason is off with Dish selling fish up near Democracia and Mahogany Heights ... Zane will be finishing the varnish on the doors and then says it is motorcycle cleanup day. 

I am going to attempt to finish the last 5 squares on Jacob's quilt, then I must wait for the fabric I ordered to come from Boulder (equilter) to put in between the squares ... the fabric I had chosen for that doesn't set off the squares well enough for my liking ... it will be better as part of the border.   I am so excited to have most of the square finished ... when I get it together, I can put it away till I get back to NM ... I have the backing there, can then get the batting and have it quilted.  I forgot to bring the fabric for Cody's wall hanging, so that I must do when I return to the States.

Next, I can work on getting Lisa's quilt top together to finish up when I get back too.  Next, after that, I will continue to work on the BOM's (blocks of the month) from the Carol Doak group for this year.  I am making 2 different ones so far and have fabric for two more.  Andrea's favorite color is pink and Gabral's is brown ... so, I will make them each a quilt too ... currently they have difficulty making their beds look neat, so this will be one way they will be able to do that.

I am also, intermittently, still working of the fever grass basket to sell.  This grass is not quite as aromatic as my sweet grass from home, but still has a refreshing lemony scent.  I am also still waiting for my sweet grass seeds to 'stratify'  (required putting them in a refrigerator for 3 months) then I will try and plant them in February.  Since we got some containers at the beach the other day, I will plant the lemongrass seeds I brought along as well.  When I return to NM I will try to grow the lemongrass back there in pots on my sun porch ... nice for cooking with as well as basket making.

Boy, the mosquitoes are busy today due to the overcast  day ... should light a 'fish' (what they call the mosquito coils that burn like incense)  they do help eliminate the bugs in the house.  With screens it is a nice solution ... now, when Jason gets a screen door made then I can keep the door open too until mid day, when I have to shut it anyway to keep the sun from overheating the house. 

Jason will need to make me screen door very soon, because, if it is still available, he is going to bring me a kitten today from a lady in Mahogany Heights ... when I leave he will keep the cat as a house cat in their place (he says Myrtle will let him) ... this surprises me, b/c she says she doesn't like cats ... kinda like my mother-in-law, Vera ... she didn't like animals in her house, and would only pet outdoor animals with her foot (:-) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment